If you want to become a British citizen, you need to apply for a British passport. That way, you can live as well as work in the country. If you are not British by lineage, you will need to fill out and submit an application that proves that you can be naturalised as one. You can submit one if you are married to a citizen or if you meet certain requirements.
What Is British Naturalisation?
In the simplest of terms, naturalisation allows non–British citizens to become British so that they can settle permanently in the UK and travel within and outside its borders without facing any issues. In case you have ancestry in the UK, you can apply for one in the following:
After Living for 6 Years in the UK
If your spouse is not a UK citizen, you have to meet these requirements in order to apply for naturalisation:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a good character
- Be able to communicate in English, but there are certain exceptions (for the elderly or the mentally handicapped). You can also meet this requirement if you can communicate in Welsh or Gaelic.
- Have been living in the UK for at least 6 years and not have ventured outside for more than 15 months.
- Be employed in an organisation of which the UK is a member of or be an employee in a UK–based business.
After Living for 3 Years in the UK as a Husband/Wife of a UK Citizen
These requirements are quite similar to the aforementioned. However, the main difference is that you should have lived for 3 years in the UK at least to be eligible for it rather than 6 years. The years will be counted from the date on which your application for naturalisation is received by the Home Office.
Here are some requirements you have to fulfil:
- Must have been living in the UK for at least 3 years
- Must have a permanent residence in the country at the time the application is submitted to the Home Office
- Must not be outside the country for at least 9 months during those 3 years
- Must not be outside the UK for 90 days during the last 12 months of the period
- Must not breach any immigration rules during the 3 year period
This is by far not an exhaustive list. In order to ensure that you and yours get the legal services you need to naturalise in the UK efficiently, you should get in touch with us here at Jackson Longe Solicitors. We have years of experience aiding immigrants and their families settle in the country as smoothly as possible.