Working in the UK

Working in the UK after Brexit: Skilled Worker visa and Work Permits for EU Citizens

Whether you are an established professional or someone who is just starting out on their career path, the UK is an exciting place to work. Being a top global economy, the UK is focused on attracting international talent across industries. See below for quick facts on the visa options currently available under UK immigration rules.

If you are a citizen of a country outside the European Union

What work visas are currently available to citizens from outside the EU?

There are currently several options for those wishing to pursue work opportunities in the UK. The most common work visa is the Skilled Worker visa, a new visa route which has replaced the Tier 2 General visa. The Skilled Worker visa is a dedicated visa route for highly skilled professionals.

What are the Skilled Worker visa requirements?

To secure a Skilled Worker work visa, you need to have a job offer at the required qualification level from a licenced sponsor in the UK. In addition, you must earn a salary that is above the minimum threshold dictated by the Immigration Rules. You will also need to demonstrate sufficient fluency in the English language.

Are non-EU citizens allowed to bring their family members to the UK to live with them?

Yes, you can bring your partner and children to the UK as your dependents, subject to meeting the eligibility requirements.

If you are an EU citizen

What was the transition period and what happened on 01 January 2021?

On 01 January 2021, free movement ended and new rules replaced the old immigration system. All EU citizens who arrived in the UK by 31 December 2020 can apply to stay in the country, using the EU Settlement Scheme. Applications must be made before 30 June 2021.

Are EU citizens able to work in the UK after 1 January 2021?

If you or your close family members started living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme. Securing a Settled or Pre-Settled Status will allow you to freely reside and work in the UK. Please note the deadline for the Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

Otherwise you will need a visa to work in the UK.

Not sure where to start? Speak to our immigration team about working in the UK.

Fill out our Quick Consultation form below or call us at 02083322069.

Quick Consultation

    Call us between 9:30AM-5.30PM on 0208 332 2069 or fill out the form.

    Please note that Jackson Longe Solicitors will only use this information to generate a quote for you. Any data that you pass to us will be kept safe and for only as long as agreed in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) of May 2018. We may need to pass this information to our trusted partners who may have reason to contact you. Neither party will use your information for any purpose, other than to provide the service you have requested.