Family Immigration: Spouse Visa
If you are a UK citizen or settled person you can bring your spouse or partner, or your fiancé or proposed civil partner to live with you in the United Kingdom. They will need to apply for a UK family visa. The appropriate family visa will allow your loved one to join and live with you in the UK.
UK Spouse Visa
This type of family visa is intended for spouses and partners of UK citizens and UK settled persons.
Spouse Visa Eligibility
For your spouse or partner to be eligible for a UK spouse visa, you must be one of the following:
- A British or Irish citizen
- A UK settled person: you have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
- A national of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status
- In possession of a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
- In possession of refugee status or under humanitarian protection in the UK
Additionally, you both need to be over 18 years of age and intend to live together permanently in the UK.
Spouse Visa Requirements
Your and your spouse or partner will need to be able to prove all of the following:
- You are in a marriage or partnership that is officially recognized in the UK or you have been living together in a genuine relationship for at least 2 years before the date of your application
- Your spouse or partner has a good knowledge of English
- You and your spouse or partner can financially support yourselves and any dependants while you are in the UK
- You and your spouse will have sufficient accommodation in the UK
You and your spouse or partner will need to obtain documentary proof of the above.
Spouse Visa Length of Stay
You can stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months on this visa. When that time is up, you can apply to extend your visa by another 2 years and 6 months. After 5 years of continuous residence as a Spouse visa holder you may be able to apply to settle in the UK permanently.
Spouse Visa Application Processing Time
The processing time for your visa will also depend on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK.
- Applying outside the UK: decision will usually be made within 12 weeks of your application date
- Applying inside the UK: decision will usually be made within 8 weeks of your application date, but you may purchase a priority service that significantly reduces your waiting time
Additionally, if your application is complex, decision times will likely be longer than usual.
Call us between 9:30AM-5.30PM on 0208 332 2069 or fill out the form.
Please note that Jackson Longe Solicitors will only use this information to generate a quote for you. Any data that you pass to us will be kept safe and for only as long as agreed in accordance with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) of May 2018. We may need to pass this information to our trusted partners who may have reason to contact you. Neither party will use your information for any purpose, other than to provide the service you have requested.